America’s Energy Future: Technology and Transformation was selected by Choice Magazine as one of 2010’s Outstanding Academic Titles. The book is a joint effort of the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and National Research Council, and represents the culmination of the first phase of the America’s Energy Future Project. The authoring committee, chaired by Harold Shapiro of Princeton University, features the leading experts in energy today, including Steven Chu, current United States Secretary of Energy.
Every year Choice, a magazine published by the American Library Association, announces a list of Outstanding Academic Titles that were reviewed during the previous calendar year. This prestigious list reflects the best in scholarly titles reviewed by Choice and brings with it the extraordinary recognition of the academic library community. In awarding Outstanding Academic Titles, the editors apply several criteria to reviewed titles:
- overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- importance relative to other literature in the field
- distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- originality or uniqueness of treatment
- value to undergraduate students
- importance in building undergraduate library collections
America’s Energy Future joins another National Academies Press book, Taking Science to School, on this prestigious list of award winners.
America’s Energy Future analyzes the potential of a wide range of technologies for generation, distribution, and conservation of energy. The book considers energy efficiency, coal-fired power generation, nuclear power, renewable energy, oil and natural gas, and alternative transportation fuels. It offers a detailed assessment of the associated impacts and projected costs of implementing each technology and categorizes them into three time frames for implementation.
Other titles in the America’s Energy Future collection include:
- America’s Energy Future: Technology and Transformation: Summary Edition
- The National Academies Summit on America’s Energy Future:
Summary of a Meeting
- Electricity from Renewable Resources: Status, Prospects, and Impediments
- Liquid Transportation Fuels from Coal and Biomass: Technological Status, Costs, and Environmental Impacts
- Real Prospects for Energy Efficiency in the United States
You can find more information about Choice magazine and the Outstanding Academic Titles Awards here.